Personal Injury Lawyer Kent, Washington and Seattle Metro Area
(206) 588-4344

Can road debris and defects lead to a crash?

Washington Car Accident Attorney

When unexpected objects appear in the road, drivers may do whatever it takes to avoid hitting them. For this reason, road debris can be a major contributing factor in car accidents.

In some cases, hitting road debris that suddenly falls off another vehicle can be unavoidable. Large objects in the road and flying objects can cause significant damage to your car and injuries to you or any other occupants.

If you were injured in crash involving road debris, you may be eligible to pursue a claim against the driver or party that caused it. An experienced car accident attorney can help you get the financial compensation you need.

What are some examples of road debris?

Common examples of debris left in the road by other drivers include:

  • Furniture
  • Rocks
  • Tires
  • Car parts that break off
  • Mattresses
  • Wood and building materials
  • Other unsecured cargo

Can I take legal action against another driver for a debris-related crash?

If you're able to catch the license plate number of the vehicle where the debris came from, you can file a claim against the driver's insurance company. The same applies to the owners of business vehicles or trucking fleet owners.

When debris is left in the road, responsible drivers will sometimes leave the scene and be completely unaware that anything happened. If you can't catch the license plate, you may have to rely on witnesses, dash cam footage, or surveillance camera footage (if available).

What if my car accident was caused by roadway defects?

Potholes, road damage and other roadway defects can also cause swerve risks and crashes. When this happens, it's usually because a road defect wasn't addressed by state or municipal officials.

If you were hurt in a crash caused by a road defect, it's possible to pursue a claim against the agency responsible for maintaining the roads. These types of claims can be extremely difficult, since state and municipal agencies have immunity from some negligence claims. In Washington State, you only have 60 days to file your claim, so you would have to act quickly.

How can a car accident attorney help me if I was hurt in a crash?

When it comes to crashes involving road debris and road defects, things can get complicated. It can often be difficult to determine who was at fault, and in some cases provide adequate evidence.

It's important that you speak to an experienced Washington car accident attorney to learn about the legal options available to you. Contact Herschensohn Law Firm, PLLC online or call (206) 588-4344 to schedule a free consultation. We serve clients across the state, including in Kent and the greater Seattle area.

National Trial Lawyers
American Association For Justice
Washington State Association For Justice
Top Verdict
Free Consultation
Free Case Consultation