Personal Injury Lawyer Kent, Washington and Seattle Metro Area
(206) 588-4344

Injured in a Hit-and-Run Accident and Don’t Know What to Do?

Attorney Zach Herschensohn knows how to help

You have every right to feel lost and confused after a hit-and-run crash. Attorney Zach Herschensohn can help you figure out the best course of action to take so that you don’t get stuck paying the price for someone else’s reckless actions. The Herschensohn Law Firm, PLLC has secured millions in settlements and verdicts for injury victims throughout the Seattle metro area and knows how to fight for your best interests to make sure you get the compensation you deserve. Discover what a versatile and aggressive Kent car accident lawyer can do for you. Contact us today for your free consultation.

Getting injured in an accident that wasn’t your fault can be highly distressing – but if the person who caused your crash fails to stop and takes off, it can make you feel like you’re stuck between a rock and a hard place. You’re injured. Your car needs to be repaired. You can’t work. Bills are piling up. If that wasn’t enough, your insurance company is giving you the runaround on what your policy does and does not cover. You’re frustrated, confused, and about ready to reach your boiling point.

Don’t hit the panic button. Zach Herschensohn has experience helping injury victims with complex cases, including hit-and-run accidents. If he can’t help you find the person responsible for your crash, he can help you seek benefits from your insurance company and advocate for your best interests so that your needs are met.

What steps should you take after a hit-and-run accident?

If you were involved in a hit-and-run accident, you should:

  • Call the police immediately. Tell them you were involved in a hit-and-run crash. Give them your location, a detailed description of the car, the driver, what direction they fled, and their license plate number, if possible.
  • Take pictures of the crash scene. Be sure to show all the damage to your car and any tire marks or debris in the road.
  • Locate witnesses. See if you can find anyone who will verify that you were involved in a hit-and-run crash. These witnesses may also be able to help you identify the missing driver and provide a more detailed description of their car or what the driver looks like.
  • See a doctor within 24 hours of your accident. Even if you don’t feel like you’re injured, some symptoms take time to emerge. You may have suffered a serious soft tissue injury or internal damage and not even realize it. Documenting your injuries and doctor visits will also be critical if you want to recover appropriate compensation.
  • Contact a car accident lawyer. Before you notify your insurance company that you were in an accident, you may want to consider speaking with an attorney first. Some insurance companies are notorious for paying out minimal compensation and denying claims outright if they think you won’t fight back.

Are hit-and-run accidents covered under my insurance?

Whether or not you are covered for a hit-and-run accident under your insurance will depend on what type of coverage you’ve purchased on your car insurance policy. If you purchased uninsured motorist (UM) coverage, it should pay for your costs from a hit-and-run accident, since an unknown driver is considered uninsured by default. This is an optional type of coverage in Washington state. It’s important to understand that even if you have UM or collision coverage, there is a limit to how much your policy will pay out in a claim. If your expenses exceed these policy limits, you may have to pay for your expenses out of pocket.

What if police find the missing driver?

If police locate the driver who took off after your crash, that driver will almost certainly face criminal charges, which can be used as evidence in support of your case. However, note that your personal injury lawsuit is a civil action distinct from any criminal charges filed by the State of Washington against the hit-and-run driver, and you can still pursue compensation even if the driver is not ultimately convicted of a crime. Since you filed an official accident report with police after the crash, they should notify you that the missing driver has been located. Once you discover the name of the person, you can file a personal injury lawsuit against them. In this situation, you may be entitled to punitive damages, since fleeing the scene of a crash that results in someone being injured is particularly egregious.

Herschensohn Law Firm, PLLC has your back

When you’ve been injured in a hit-and-run accident, it catches you off guard. Most people don’t expect to get injured in a car accident – but when that happens and the other driver flees the scene of the crash, it can leave you feeling helpless. That’s why you need our law firm in your corner, advocating for your best interests.

Whether you want someone to help you locate and seek compensation from the responsible driver or require an individual with experience handling insurance claims, you can count on Zach Herschensohn. Best of all? We work on a contingency fee basis. That means you don’t pay anything unless we win. Contact us today for your free consultation.

National Trial Lawyers
American Association For Justice
Washington State Association For Justice
Top Verdict
Free Consultation
Free Case Consultation